|TEL: (604) 767-4187 (Vancouver, Canada)
Areas of Expertise:
- FX Supervisor/FX lead/Visual Effects Artist with 20+ years experience on live action feature films, including eight films nominated for an Academy Award in Visual Effects.
- Extensive feature film experience in visual effects animation, screenwriting, pitching, voice acting.
- Nominated for a British Academy Award (BAFTA)
- Visual effects artist on six Academy Award-nominated films
Awards & Nominations:
Feature Film & TV Visual Effects Employment:
- Leading an FX team. Creating custom FX setups in Houdini and other software packages. Creation and shot work in smoke, fire, water, sand, ice, explosions, debris, lightning, unique liquid & ephemeral effects.
- FX Supervisor: Scanline VFX
- FX Supervisor: Zoic (Vancouver): FX Supervisor for the Zoic Dynamics team. Worked directly with VFX Supervisors for effects on the series "Arrow", "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina", "Legends of Tomorrow", "Stargirl" and others to deliver the creative vision of the directors.
- Oversaw & provided creative feedback for effects artists.
- Worked with VFX supervisors in touchbases and "battleplans" on how to tackle upcoming effects.
- Worked with producers and heads of production on bidding and scheduling of FX work.
- Coached artists on best ways to approach and effect, jumping in on complex effects when needed
- Developed tools to streamline FX artists' workflow.
- Assigned work to the appropriate artists most suited to the task.
- Created fluid, fire, goo, steam, explosion, destruction and superpower effects.
- Interviewed prospective FX artists, working with HR on hiring.
- Created an FX library system to allow artists to create, store, recall and modify effects setups.
- Worked with pipeline on how to improve efficiency of effects production workflow.
- Key FX Artist, MPC (Vancouver)
- Senior Effects Artist, Method Studios (Vancouver)
- Senior Effects Artist, Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver)
- FX Lead, Digital Domain (Vancouver)
- Senior Effects Artist, MPC (Vancouver)
- Senior Effects Artist, Framestore (London)
- Senior Effects Artist, LookFX (L.A.)
- Senior Visual Effects Artist, Digital Domain (L.A.)
- Senior Visual Effects Artist, Sony Pictures Imageworks (L.A.)
The Amazing Spider-Man
|| - Webs, Destruction, Debris|
|| - Dust & Magic dust|
|| - Central OA Beam, Ring Beams, Tomar Re's Construct|
|| - Destruction, Dust|
|| - Hitler assassination attempt explosion|
|| - Destructions, Debris, Snow|
I Am Legend
|| - Explosions, Light Beams|
|| - FX Animation Lead (Led "rebel" Sandman team & Glider Fx team)|
|| - Smoke effects|
|| - Constance's "Spirit Cloud" at end of film|
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
||- Water & mist in waterfall sequence, snow & ice|
- Effects Animator, Stan Winston Studios
|| - Lead FX Artist (invisibility & force field effects)|
- Effects Animator, DreamWorks Feature Animation
|| - Oscar's lava lamp, Fish Bubbles and Ripples|
- Visual Effects Artist, Rhythm & Hues Studios (L.A.)
- Visual Effects Animator, Digital Domain (L.A.)
- Visual Effects Animator, Screenwriter & Voice Actor, Sony Pictures Imageworks
- The ChubbChubbs! (short film) - Screenwriter (also performed the voice of the ChubbChubbs characters)
- ["The ChubbChubbs!" won the Academy Award for best animated short, 2003, also was nominated for BAFTA, 2003]
- Spider-Man - FX Animation Lead (Green Goblin glider smoke)
- Hollow Man - FX Animation Lead, (muscles in invisibility transformation sequences)
- The Astronaut's Wife - Procedural animation (lightning alien)
- Random Hearts - CGI artist (airplane)
- Stuart Little - CGI Lighting Artist (mouse brushing teeth and gargling shots)
- Screenwriter & Voice Actor, Pentafour Studios
- Technical Director & Scratch Voice Actor, Walt Disney Feature Animation
Screenwriting, Pitching, Story Development & Voice acting:
- Pitched, wrote treatments, original screenplay & voiced characters for The ChubbChubbs
- Wrote screenplay to Sinbad: Beyond the Veil of Mists, all CGI feature film released by Trimark
- Performed background voices for Sinbad: Beyond the Veil of Mists
- Performed scratch voice for character of Kron in Disney’s Dinosaur.
- Pitched feature film story ideas to Walt Disney Feature Animation, Sony Pictures Animation & DreamWorks
- Master of Science, The Ohio State University
- Major: Computer science, specialization in computer graphics.
- Bachelor of Science, The Ohio State University
- Major: Computer graphics & animation, minor in Philosophy.
- Animator and co-founder, Jamination Animation, Inc.
- Created scoreboard animations for Madison Square Garden, NY Yankees, Chicago Bulls, others
- Scoreboard Animator, Manager of Ohio State University Scoreboard Staff
- Created animations for matrix scoreboards in football stadium & basketball arena. Created animation ideas, gags, pitched animation ideas to sponsors
- Extensive experience with: Houdini, Maya, Renderman, Python, VEX, Mel, Perl
TRIATHLONS I've competed in:
TRIATHLONS I came in last place or near-last place in:
Student? Click here to jump to my "How To Get A Job In Feature Film Visual Effects" page